More Ham...and Scalloped Potatoes




More leftovers? Yup that is right, we had ham leftovers to use up.  So what do you do with Ham Leftovers.....Ham and scalloped potatoes.


Now I could of used my moms recipe, but I don't believe she ever wrote it down.  She would just throw something together and the outcome would be good.  But that wasn't what I was looking for.  I wanted a recipe that if I liked it I would have it the next time we had ham leftovers.  What I liked about this recipe is the sautéed onions and cheese that was added.  I also added a bit of fresh thyme to the sauce.

So, while I am typing this I was just thinking....is Ham the traditional Christmas dish?  Turkey is
Thanksgiving, and I see Ham as an  Easter staple, so what is the traditional Christmas meal? 

Ham and Scalloped Potatoes (From Food Network)

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon butter
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
12 ounces 1/4 inch sliced baked ham
2 cups grated cheddar cheese


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a baking dish. In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in milk. Return pan to heat and bring to a simmer while stirring. When sauce has thickened remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and set aside. In a skillet, cook onions in melted butter until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Spread 1/3 of the white sauce in bottom of baking dish and top with half of the potatoes. Spread out half of the onions, ham, cheese And another third of the sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Continue layering ingredients, ending with the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly. (Test the potatoes to make sure they are done.  It may take a few more minutes to assure they are tender)


Comments

Popular Posts