Classic comfort food










Yesterday was a very cold day and one that lends itself to a great big bowl of classic comfort food, Macaroni and Cheese!  Not the bland box kind, the real homemade Mac and Cheese.  

The day started out at -11 degrees and wind chill temperatures at -26.  Almost all of the schools in our area were either closed or had a 2 hour delay, except my kids school.  They were not very happy with us when we decided that we would bring them to school after the 2 hour scheduled delay, especially since 75% of the students didn't show up.  I was reminded all day that they should of closed school, and they should of, but we could get them there and back home.

Our dear daughter thought that since we made them go to school we should go out to eat, but once I got home from work I didn't want to bundle back up and go out into the cold again.  So, what would taste good on a cold winters night - my classic Macaroni and Cheese.  Now my son was not a fan of this recipe when he was little.  He preferred the box stuff over real cheese macaroni.  I would have to call it something else and use a different shaped noodle than the basic macaroni to get him to eat it.  Now he would eat the whole bowl if I let him. On the other hand the little 8 year old that lives behind us loves it so much she wants her mom to make my recipe and even when I gave it to her she told her it wasn't the same.  So I occasionally make a pan when she is around so she can have mine.

So, with the cheese I had on hand in the refrigerator (some shredded Cheddar cheese and a brick of Guyre) and a box of rotelle noodles, my daughter and I whipped together a big tasty bowl of comfort food on an extremely cold winters night.


Macaroni and Cheese

3 tablespoons  of butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper
2 cups of milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups of macaroni, cooked and drained

(For this recipe I used a bag of shredded cheese and then about 4ounces of Guyre.  You can use any combination of cheese to change the flavor)

Melt butter over low heat.  Stir in flour, salt and pepper.  Cook until smooth stirring constantly. Remove from heat and gradually add the milk.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Boil and stir for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.  If necessary return to low heat to finish melting cheese.  Do not boil.  Combine cheese sauce and macaroni.  Spoon into a buttered 2 quart casserole. Sprinkle some flavored bread crumbs over top and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.




Comments

Popular Posts