Lasagna anyone?

Hubby asked me early Saturday night what would taste good for dinner?  I thought for just a few seconds and said the first thing that came into my mind - Lasagna!  He's said, sounds good  and then off we both went to our exercises plans of the day.  While hubby went to the gym I went to my Pilates class at a local studio.  Following class I headed to our local Wegmans to pick up ingredients for dinner and a few extras.  If you have ever been to a Wegmans you always pick up more than is on your grocery list.

I grabbed one of the small two tier carts and headed into produce.  We needed salad fixings and a few fresh veggies for dinner.  I then headed over to the deli area and picked up a package of large pepperoni, about 3" size and a quick stop at the old world cheese for Parmesan.  Then off to the meat counter and I grabbed a pack of meat loaf mix.  The meatloaf mix gives you ground beef, pork and veal and is also the same thing as meat ball mix.  Then I moved over to dairy for part skim ricotta and a bag of  shredded mozzarella.  To finish up my ingredients I moved to the pasta aisle and grabbed a box of no boil Lasagna sheets and a jar of DiVavilo sauce. The sauce is a little spicy and would give the Lasagna a little kick.  Shopping mission accomplished, I headed home.

Around 4:30 in the afternoon I began preparing my Lasagna.  Using the directions on the box as a guide I planned out my Lasagna my way.  I started by browning my meat mix on the stove and as I did that I prepared my cheese mixture.  By six o'clock dinner was on the table.  Easy and tasty!


Easy Lasagna

1 lb meatball mix
18 to 24 slices of pepperoni
1 container of part skim ricotta
2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, additional for the top
1 tablespoon of fresh parsley
1 25 oz. DiVavilo sauce
2 cups water
12 sheets of no boil Lasagna


In a large sauté pan, brown the meatball mix until it is no longer pink.  Drain the excess fat from pan.  Add the jar of DiVavilo sauce and 2 cups of water.  Stir to combine and bring to a boil ( about 3 minutes).  While the sauce is cooking, combine ricotta, mozzarella, egg, parsley and 1/3 cup Parmesan.

In a 13x9x2 pan, spread 1/2 cups of sauce.  Place 4 sheets of Lasagna over sauce.  Cover with 1/2 cheese mixture, 9 to 12 pieces of pepperoni, 1/3 oft he remaining sauce.  Repeat with 4 more noodles, remaining cheese mixture,  remaining pepperoni and 1/3 of sauce.  Cover with the 4 remaining Lasagna sheets and the rest of sauce.  Sprinkle top with some shredded Parmesan.  Cover with aluminum foil.  

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes, remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.  

Comments

Popular Posts