Off the back of the box!


How many times have you pulled out a box mix of either rice, noodles or the like to see a recipe on there and then just make the mix as is?  I have done that numerous times until I saw this recipe on the box of Near East Cous Cous for Mediterranean Chicken and Couscous that peeked my interest.  The prep time and the cook time listed was pretty easy and would make for a quick weeknight dinner.  

Early in the morning I pulled out two seasoned chicken breast from our freezer and then found  the box of Cous Cous in the pantry that I could use the Chicken with.  I made note of my missing ingredients and planned on stopping at the grocery store on my lunch hour.  The plan worked out well.  The end result was delicious and one recipe I will make again.  I just have to remember to have the right box of Cous Cous on hand.



Mediterranean Chicken and Cous Cous

1 package of Near East Roasted Garlic and Olive Oil Cous Cous
2 Table spoons olive oil
1/2 half pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 2) cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 clove of garlic minced
2 cups baby spinach
1 1/3 cups water
1/3 cups chopped sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts 

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add chicken and garlic and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently until chicken is no longer pink.  Add spinach during last 1 to 2 minutes of cooking chicken.

Stir in water, sun-dried tomatoes, red pepper flakes and contents of spice pack.  Bring to a boil.  Stir in Cous Cous, cover and remove from heat.  Let stand 5 minutes.  Fluff Cous Cous lightly with fork.  Stir in cheese and pine nuts.  Serve immediately.

Comments

Popular Posts