Worth reposting!

It is Saturday night and I wanted to make a dinner we haven't had is some time.  Our daughter is off at work and it is just hubby and our little man.  So I decided to make our "Picky eaters favorite dinner"!  This was one of my original post so, there weren't any good pictures and I posted the link to the recipe from Fine Cooking.  So, retread and give it a try...


ORIGINAL POST

Do you every look at your children and say " hmm, this one is just like me or that one is so totally my husband'? Well, when it comes to eating I can definitely say that about my children. My oldest is just like my husband. Will try anything, great eater and adventurous. My youngest is just like me - picky! My mother would blame herself for my eating habits when I was little, because she said she kept me on baby food too long. Go figure that out growing up in a Diner. I am not a cold sandwich lover. I wanted a hot lunch, soup preferred. But I did like the good stuff. Steak, Prime Rib, shrimp, scallops, you know the expensive stuff. When I was little and we went out to a restaurant, no hot dog hamburg for me. It was a steak or prime rib, baked potato.



Well my youngest is the same way.  We can not get him to eat a grilled cheese for anything.  He won't eat a sandwich unless it is a sub from Subway.  But give him a plate of calamari and he thinks he is eating exotic!  Well today is his birthday and I owe him one of his favorite dinners. I found this recipe in Fine Cooking and thought, "He will never eat it!"  Was I wrong.  He loves it and asks for it.





Pork Scaloppine with Prosciutto, Sage & Caramelized Lemon 
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/pork-scaloppine-prosciutto-sage-caramelized-lemon.aspx




    




  • 2 to 3 lemons
  • 1 small pork tenderloin (about 3/4 pound)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 18 medium or 12 large fresh sage leaves
  • 6 slices prosciutto, preferably imported
  • 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup sweet vermouth; more to taste
  • 1/2 cup homemade or low-salt chicken broth
Trim a thick slice off each end of one of the lemons, and then cut 1/8-inch-thick slices from the
 lemon center—you need 12 slices, so you may need a second lemon. Juice the ends and enough
 of the remaining lemons to obtain 1/4 cup juice. Set the slices and juice aside.
Heat the oven to 200°F. Set a heatproof serving platter and a baking sheet lined with a paper
 towel in the oven.

Trim and cut the pork tenderloin into 6 thick medallions of roughly equal weight. Place a 
piece of plastic wrap on the counter top. Put one pork piece on top of the plastic with one 
cut side up and cover with a second piece of plastic wrap. With a meat mallet (or heavy skillet), 
pound the meat into 1/4-inch thick scaloppine. Repeat with the other pieces. Sprinkle both
 sides lightly with salt and pepper. Top each scaloppine with two to three sage leaves and
 then a prosciutto slice, folding any of the overlap underneath the pork scaloppine.

Put the flour in a shallow bowl. Dredge the scaloppine in flour, shaking off the excess.

In a 12-inch skillet, heat 1-1/2 Tbs. of the oil over medium-high heat. Cook three of the
 scaloppine, prosciutto side down first, until lightly browned and just cooked through,
 1-1/2 to 2 min. per side. Transfer the scaloppine to the baking sheet in the oven. 
Add the remaining 1-1/2 Tbs. oil and repeat with the three remaining scaloppine. 
Transfer them to the baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Remove the pan from the heat 
and pour off any remaining oil.

Add 1 Tbs. of the butter and let it melt. Add the lemon slices to the pan in a single layer. 
Return to medium heat and cook the lemon slices until lightly browned on one side, 2 to 4 min.
 Turn the lemon slices and add 2 tablespoons of the vermouth to the pan. Continue to cook 
until the vermouth cooks down to a glaze, 2 to 3 min. (The lemon slices will resemble 
bicycle wheels, with much of the flesh going into the sauce.) Transfer the lemon slices 
to the scaloppine in the oven, placing two slices on each one.

Pour the remaining (approximately 3 Tbs. ) vermouth into the pan, bring to a boil over 
medium-high heat, and deglaze the pan by scraping up the browned bits from the bottom.
 Add the chicken broth and lemon juice and boil until reduced to 1/4 cup, 3 to 5 min. 
Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1 Tbs. butter.

Taste the sauce for seasoning; if it’s too acidic, add a touch more vermouth to the pan.

Transfer the scaloppine to the serving platter, spoon the sauce over, and serve immediately.

Comments

Popular Posts