Date Pinwheels for Christmas

I am reposting this recipe from September 2013 - originally entitled "Treasure from the freezer" because I just made a fresh batch for Christmas.   Mom handed over the chopped dates a couple of weeks ago which was her way to say - it's all you this year.  I agreed with the caveat that she still needed to make the Meringue Kisses.  The posting below is the original with some added pictures of the process. 


Treasures from the Freezer

Last December I took the afternoon off from work to run some pre Christmas errands and I also went out to my Mom's to help her make the Christmas Date Pinwheels.  She needed help rolling out the dough and adding the date filling.  The recipe has been around for years, passed down by my Grandmother to her daughters and now down to me.  I have been making them myself the past couple of years, but it is heart warming to have my Mom make them.  Plus we had a deal....I help her and the I get two of the rolls to bring home and bake them here.  

Mom had the dough already made and chilled, and when she knew  I was on my way she started to get the filling ready.  Her cookies are always loaded with dates and quite thick.  Her sister makes them as well but her cookies are paper thin.  Mom always says " I know you all like Barb's cookies better then mine" but that is not true.  With Mom's you can taste the dates.

So when all was said and done, we made 4 rolls of cookies, 2 for her and 2 for me.  And now 9 months later I have a special treat.  Looking forward to this years Christmas cookies!  


Date Pinwheels

1 cup of butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda


Filling
1 lb of pitted dates cut small
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water


Mix the first four ingredients together.  Add the flour, salt and baking soda.  Mix well and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
  
When you are ready to roll out the dough mix together the filling ingredients in a small saucepan and boil till thick.

Divide dough in 4 parts.  Roll out each part, one at a time into a rectangle on waxed paper.  With thickened filling, spread over the rolled out dough  till about a 1/2" from edges.  

Start on the long edge of dough and roll by using the waxed paper to guide you.  You should have about a 12 to 14 "cookie roll.  Wrap with wax paper, transfer to a cookie sheet and freeze at least one hour. 


When you are ready to bake, slice cookies about 1/2" thick and place on lightly greased baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees, 12 minutes.  Remove to wire rack to cool.

Enjoy with a nice cold glass of milk!






Comments

Popular Posts