Melina's Fresh Pasta

My neighbor, Giada from across the street, has a younger sister who has a fresh pasta company in Raleigh Durham,  North Carolina.  She posts weekly on Facebook about her visits to farm markets giving area residents the menu of items she will be selling that week. Her products are now being sold in area restaurants and grocery stores.   Her company, Melina's Fresh Pasta, has grown from working out of her home to now her own production facility and several employees from what I hear.  Melina uses fresh ingredients and family recipes handed down from her mom and the numerous relatives in Italy.  When she decide to start her company she spent some time over in Italy perfecting her art.  I love to hear the stories of her pasta making, especially when her parents go down to visit.  I know Nonna, as my kids call her, steps right up to help and probably has a few new recipes for her to try or maybe a few tips.

For a few years now I would either read or hear from her sister about all of the new favors of pasta she was making.  My mouth would water hearing of the pumpkin stuffed ravioli or mushroom flavored.  I even requested that she come up to one of our dinner clubs to have a pasta making party, just to get a taste of Melina's ravioli or gnocchi.  We did get some homemade gnocchi one Christmas that the family had made while she was here that was delicious.  But I wanted more......

Well, right before we went on vacation Melina was in town for a visit.  On the Friday night of her visit "Giada" told me that Melina brought me some pasta, but I could only have it if I promised to blog about it.  Well, duh.....I was no fool.  YES! SHOW ME THE PASTA!!!!!

So today was the day to try my first flavor, Mushroom Stuffed Ravioli.  It was planned as a side dish to the grilled pork chops and steamed broccoli.  I search the web for a sauce to accompany the ravioli and decided upon the real Giada's sauce she used on wild mushroom ravioli, Butter and Parmesan Sauce.  I checked out the ingredients and realized that I didn't have any fresh basil, so thank you "back yard peep", she came to the rescue!   And the ravioli and sauce were a big hit!  Thanks Melina. I will post again when we try the gnocchi and the Lemon Ravioli.

So, if you are ever in the Raleigh area, look out for Melina's Fresh Pasta and check out her story.  I am hoping some day she has mail order pasta!  

My specially packed Mushroom Ravioli

Cooking the fresh pasta

Mushroom Ravioli with Butter and Parmesan Sauce


Butter and Parmesan Sauce


2 packages (11-ounce) fresh wild mushroom ravioli
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
6 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1 whole nutmeg or 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
2/3 cup grated Parmesan


Directions
Cook the ravioli in a large pot of boiling salted water until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain and put on a platter.

Meanwhile, cook the butter in a heavy medium frying pan over medium-high heat until pale golden, about 4 minutes. Add the basil leaves and cook until lightly fried, about 2 minutes. Add the pine nuts. Pour over the cooked ravioli. Grate 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg directly over ravioli. Sprinkle Parmesan over dish and serve.



Read more at:

Http://www.melinaskitchen.com
Http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/wild-mushroom-ravioli-with-butter-and-parmesan-sauce-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Comments

Popular Posts