Welcome - This is new to me!

Let's start something new!  I have spent a bit of time browsing blogs and websites for what is new and interesting.  Saving recipes, printing out numerous copies and just trying things out. 

Ever since I was little I have been around food.  My parents owned a diner is a small town from before I was born until I was about 12 years old. When I was little, my brothers and sisters and I lived upstairs over the diner.  Dinner was always made downstairs and then brought to the table to share.  My dad was the main cook and my mom was the waitress, donut maker, salad preparer, and everything else.  Meat and potatoes was always what was served for dinner.  After the diner was gone, there was still a lot of cooking going on.  The family grew with in laws and grandchildren adding to the mix.  Traditional foods always kept popping up at dinners and holidays, and recipes were either passed around or passed down for the next generation to start making. Food was comfort in my family.  Dad's homemade soups, Mom's chocolate cake, Christmas cookies and casseroles.  There was always something to nibble on.

I lot of time has past since then.  I have been happily married to my wonderful husband, let's call him  'Valley Boy" for 20 years.  Cooking has changed for us from our first days of wedded bliss.  Back then, newly married and on a budget, chicken legs were $.29 a pound and could be cooked a variety of ways. Our friendships changed as we moved from apartment to first house to our current neighborhood.

We now have two wonderful children who keep us busy. My husband took an increasing interest in cooking and trying new recipes.  And our love of good food and entertaining grew.  Watching cooking shows and then running to the computer to print off the recipe, gathering our closet friends together for a gourmet dinner club and creating our own "cookbook" of favorites is what our culinary explorations have become.

Culinary adventures from the Dinergirl's kitchen. Not just my cooking, but my husbands as well. This is what I hope this blog will bring to all interested parties. 

First Simple Recipe from our Hawaii Inspired Menu, a way to Jazz Up White Rice

Saffron Rice


2 cups basmati or jasmine rice
4 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoonsdiced onion1 teaspoon salt
2 pinches saffron, crumbled  (American saffron will be fine)

Directions:

1.       In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the diced onion.  Cook to translucent.
2.     Add the chicken stock, rice and saffron.
3.       Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat.
4.       Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until stock is absorbed and rice is tender.
5.       Fluff with fork and serve.

Comments

Popular Posts