Creamy Chicken Enchiladas


 

I love to make enchiladas.  I have a recipe that I found right after were were married for chicken and Cheese Enchiladas that became a staple for quite some time in our house.  We we were forming our dinner club years ago, it was Chicken Enchiladas that I made for the dinner club that first night. When a coworker asked me to be the featured chef in the local Sunday newspaper, it was Chicken Enchilada;s that I made for the photo shoot. Cheese and Chicken Enchiladas

Fast forward to now.  I found this recipe while surfing Facebook and saved the post so when I decided to make it I could easily find it.  With Covid, Eric has been working from home so he has really been in charge of dinner more than I have.  I decided that this past Saturday night I would be make dinner for the two of us and pulled out my saved post to give it a try.  I only needed a few things from the store - tortillas, a 1 lb of chicken breast cutlets and the Adobo Seasoning.  The recipe turned out great.  It is not really too spicy.  The strength of the seasoning will determine the heat of the dish.  The Adobo does come in different flavors. I chose the Adobo All Purpose Seasoning Hot!  When it was done baking I sprinkled some more over the top before serving. 

Ingredients


2 cups shredded, cooked chicken  ( I used just over a lb of chicken breast and roasted for 25 minutes)*
8 flour tortillas (taco size)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese 
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
salt & pepper & Adobo seasoning, to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium-sized bowl, mix together cooked, shredded chicken with one cup of shredded cheese along with salt, pepper and Adobo seasoning. Place chicken mixture into each of the flour tortillas.
Roll them all up and place them in the prepared baking dish.

In a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Whisk in flour and let cook and thicken for 1 minute (don't let it burn). Add chicken broth and whisk until smooth.

Stir in sour cream and green chiles. Be sure not to let the mixture boil.

Take sauce off the heat and pour it over the enchiladas. Top with remaining shredded cheese.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes.

If you'd like, you can turn the broiler on high and broil these for a minute or two until cheese is slightly browned and bubbly

*To roast the chicken breast I drizzled olive oil over and then sprinkled with salt and pepper.  Baked them for 20 to 25 minutes.  Then shredded with a fork.

Comments

Popular Posts