An oldie but a goodie! Chicken Encilada Casserole. Just in time for Cinco de Mayo!


This is a really old recipe of mine that I remember making soon after Hubby and I were married.  If you are asking how old it is, well we will soon celebrate our 25th this year.  This was probably my first attempt at anything Mexican and I have been making this ever since.  About 15 years ago I was featured as the cook of the week in our local Sunday paper and this was one of the recipes I shared.  I have friends who request this for their birthday present.  Even when we formed our dinner club I made this for our planning meeting where we set up the group guidelines - No seafood as a main entree!  That was about 13 years ago.  Times have changed but this recipe stays true to my cooking criteria - easy and delicious! 


So with Cinco De Mayo just around the corner, whip up a batch of these and enjoy with a Margarita or two!


Cheese and Chicken Enchiladas


1 medium onion chopped
2 tablespoons of butter
1 1/2 cups of shredded cooked chicken or turkey
1 12oz. jar of picante sauce, divided
3 oz. of cream cheese, cubed
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cups (8oz.) extra sharp Mexican or taco cheese blend
8 flour tortilla (6 inch)

Cook and stir onion in butter in large skillet until tender.  Stir in chicken, 1/4 cup picante sauce, cream cheese and cumin. Cook until throughly heated.  Stir in 1 cup cheese. remove from heat.

Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture in center of each tortilla; roll up.  Place seam side down in 12 x 7 inch baking dish.  Top with remaining picante sauce and cheese.  Bake at 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts