Cheesy Turkey Meatballs



Trying to clean out all the magazines I have stock piled. Cooking Light, Southern Living and Fine Cooking are my favorites and I have quite the stack of issues lying around. I think I have at least 8 years of Fine Cooking, if not more because I love all the information that is given in each issue. But I need to clean these out.

So now as I am Marie Kondo "ing" my life I am pulling out recipes that I want to try. This one rose to the top! Then the magazine heads to the recydle bin or possibly put aside for a big gargage sale this spring. Any one interested in old Fine Cooking magazines?

Ingredients

1 pound 93% lean ground turkey

12 ounces sweet Italian turkey or chicken sausage, casings removed (about 4 sausages)

1/2 cup whole-wheat panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish

2 tablespoons grated pecorino Romano cheese (1/2 oz.)

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

2 garlic cloves, grated

Cooking Spray

Sauce

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

2 garlic cloves, smashed

1 (28-oz.) can unsalted crushed tomatoes

Crushed red pepper to taste

3/4 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into pieces

Directions

Prepare the meatballs: Combine turkey, sausage, panko, parsley, pecorino, Italian seasoning, salt, and grated garlic in a large bowl; form into 18 (2-inch) meatballs.




Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium; coat skillet with cooking spray. Working in batches, add meatballs to skillet, and cook until browned on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove meatballs from skillet, and set aside.




Prepare the sauce: Reduce heat to medium-low. Add oil and smashed garlic to skillet; cook until garlic is golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and crushed red pepper; return meatballs to skillet. Cover and simmer until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Uncover; add mozzarella pieces. Cover and cook until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. If your skillet doesn’t have a lid, you can put it under the broiler until cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish with additional chopped parsley.

Popular Posts