Kreb's Brownies

Growing up my mom would make a simple brownie recipe that she said came from this old restaurant in Skaneateles, NY called Kreb's. At the time the restaurant was open seasonally and specialized in a set seven course family style dinner. They were only open Mother's day into the fall. I remember her saying that they would pass out brownies on Halloween.

My parents lived in Skaneateles before I was born, then moved to my small town place of birth DeRuyter to open their first diner. Mom had the recipe and that was our family brownie recipe ever since. Skaneateles has always been a part of my growing up even after my parents left, with my grandmother living there and then my brother. Mom and Dad slowly moved back to the area via a second diner and then moving into the place mom lives today about 5 miles from Skaneateles. Eric and I were married in Skaneateles too. We had been there a long time ago and ate upstairs in the bar area where they would have those ranch flavored oyster crackers. I never got a chance to try the seven course meal.

The restaurant closed for some time and then was reopened within the past five years. We did get a chance to go to dinner there after it reopened. It was a wonderful dinner, but no brownie for dessert for us.

So when I needed a quick dessert for Valentine's day I pulled out my mom's recipe and when they came out of the oven I added some chocolate and caramel candies on top to make it a little more special.

1 cup of sugar

1/2 cup butter melted

2 squares of unsweetened chocolate, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 eggs

1/2 cup flour

1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts

Dash salt

Melt butter and chocolate, stir in sugar. Add vanilla and eggs plus dash of salt. Add flour and nuts, stir to blend. Place in greased 8 x 8 pan and bake in 375 oven for 20 minutes.

Popular Posts