Zucchini Casserole...or as the kids called it, Zoo loo casserole.(I don't know why)



This is my 100th post!  So excited.  I have family and friends who look forward to this.Well here you go....

I have a recipe that a very very close friend of our family would make, she passed it down to my sister and now I have it.  I typically don't make this until fall time when the temperature is changing and we want a good casserole.  It also takes about 21/2 hours to make, so you need to plan that into your day.

I made this on Tuesday evening because our dear daughter was staying late at school for a costume fitting.  She is going to be playing Jane in Pride and Prejudice in a few weeks.  Hubby said he would pick her up from school around 6 p.m., so that gave me plenty of time to put this all together.  

Zucchini Casserole

2 to 3 medium zucchini, sliced
2 medium onions, cut in half and then sliced
2 green peppers sliced
1 lb sausage, casing removed
2  14oz. canned diced tomatoes
1 tsp oregano
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Slat and pepper
Grated mozzarella cheese, 2 cups worth

Cook sausage, crumble and drain.  Add onions, peppers and zucchini.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  Add tomatoes, oregano and garlic.  Simmer for 30 minutes more, covered.  Layer in a greased casserole dish alternating with grated cheese.  Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  





Note:  When I was making this I added some ricotta salata to the top layer.  We had some left over in the refrigerator and it made sense to add.....tasted good.  I served this with plain white rice.  









Comments

Popular Posts