Homemade Apple Pie Time



 
Artistic look at my apples!

 
It seems that every dessert revolves around apples this time of year.  Apple Crisp, Apple Cake and now Apple Pie.  Hubby was looking through twitter this afternoon and found a video from Jordan Winery on making an Apple Pie and the secrets to a flaky crust.  As he sat there listening to this video I started to crave an apple pie.  I wasn't going to try the recipe he was listening too, I have my own apple pie recipe.


 
 
Ingredients for Double Pie Crust
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 6 - 7 tablespoons cold water
Directions

Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. 

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Divide in half. Form each half into a ball. 

On a lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball. Roll from center to edges into 12-inch circle.
 

To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Transfer filling to pastry-lined pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate.

 
Roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Place remaining pastry on filling; trim 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Bake as directed in individual recipes (see below) . Makes 8 servings.


Now for the filling:

I always have luck making my own pie crust from the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook that uses flour, salt, shortening (Crisco) and water-4 basic ingredients and it is very easy to make. (See recipe above) Once that is done I flip through the cookbook to the fruit pie chart to find out what I need for an apple pie. For the filling use 5 apples, peeled cored and sliced( 6 cups) , 1/2 to 3/4  of a cup of sugar and a  tablespoon  of flour, and I have the filling all ready to go.  Mix them all together and place in crust.  Place the remaining crust on top, roll and crimp the edges then sprinkle with a little sugar.  Cover edge with foil. Bake at 375 degrees   for 25 minutes, remove foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes more.
 
 

Comments

  1. Oh my Goodness! This looks amazing! Thank you for sharing. I am visting you from Bloggy Moms and I am now following you on G+. I look forward to reading more. Have a Great Day :)

    ~Yaumara
    http://ylindo01.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts