Look what's cooking

As I write this I am thinking of the nursery rhyme "Old Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard to get her poor dog a bone...".  That is kind of what I did last week when we needed something for dinner before rushing off to a basketball game. 

I opened up the freezer and thought what can I make from what hiding in here?  Staring right back at me was a bag of cooked chicken.  Hmm, that gave me an idea.  I have an app on my phone from Betty Crocker and I put chicken in the search field and found a quick and easy Chicken and Dumplings.  About 30 minutes later...Viola! Dinner.

OK, I had to make a few substitutions because I didn't have peas and carrots, but I did have frozen broccoli florets and pearl onions.  And I didn't have creamy chicken mushroom soup, but I did have cream of chicken soup.  I don't think it change the taste any and my husband and son liked it.  

So I threw it all together in my saute pan and watched the dumplings come to life and 30 minutes later, dinner was on the table.


Quick Chicken and Dumplings

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup frozen green peas and carrots (see substitution above)
1 cup cut-up cooked chicken
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed creamy chicken mushroom soup (see substitution above)
1 cup Original Bisquick® mix
1/3 cup milk
Paprika, if desired
Directions 

Heat 1 1/2 cups milk, the peas and carrots, chicken and soup to boiling in 3-quart saucepan, stirring frequently.


Stir Bisquick mix and 1/3 cup milk until soft dough forms. Drop dough by 8 spoonfuls onto chicken mixture (do not drop directly into liquid). Sprinkle with paprika.


Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer.

Comments

Popular Posts