Something old now something new

Looking through the refrigerator this weekend I noticed we had a rather large supply of Swiss cheese and sliced ham.  Too much Swiss cheese and sliced ham I should say...  What to make, what to make?  Ah, I remember a recipe I used many, many years ago when we were first married - Chicken Cordon Bleu!  And I even remember when.  It was my handsome hubby's birthday dinner at our apartment back in 1992!  OK, I have a uncanny knack for remembering some of the little details of everyday life, just like my husband's uncanny knack for remember the ladies name who promote the cars on the TV for area dealers years later when they are no longer on TV anymore.


So I pulled out my old Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook that I got about 25 years ago when I joined one of those book of the month club and found the recipe.   



Good Housekeeping's Illustrated Cookbook's Chicken Cordon Bleu (just why is it spelled this way?)

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 ounces Swiss cheese, sliced thin
8 ounces cooked ham, sliced thin
3 tablespoons flour, all purpose
1 teaspoon paprika
6 tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 chicken bouillon cube, Chicken Flavored
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup heavy cream

 

Directions:


Spread Chicken breasts flat.Place Ham & Cheese slices on breasts. Fold breasts, ham & cheese over.
Fasten edges with toothpicks. Mix Flour and Paprika.Coat chicken pieces with flour mixture.

Melt Butter in 12" skillet. Cook chicken til browned on all sides. Add Wine and bouillon. Reduce heat to low and cover skillet. Simmer 30 minutes or until fork-tender.


Remove from skillet, remove toothpicks. Blend Cornstarch and Cream until smooth. Gradually stir into skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve  the sauce over the chicken.  Welcome back old classic!




September 1992 - Cake following the Chicken Cordon Bleu Dinner

Comments

Popular Posts