Snack Time!

I was inspired this weekend to make a new snack mix that I saw on Pinterest.  We are big fans of the snack mixes.  I have a running tradition with one of my sisters on making the annual Chex Party mix for the Christmas Season.  Whoever has possession of "the can" is the one who makes the mix that year.  Once you make the mix, you split it up and pass back "the can" to the other one full of party mix.  Once you are done you keep the can until the next Christmas season and it is your turn to make the mix.  I say it this way because it is a running joke on who has "the can".  And there are times my darling hubby has said "Can you sneak "the can" back into to your sister's house so she has to make the mix again this year?".  I think he doesn't think I put in enough bagel chips and mixed nuts in but I do, he just keeps eating them all and leaving the Cheerios and pretzels at the bottom.

Our other favorite snack mix is from The Noble Pig blog.  This is really my daughter's favorite one, but only made ever so often because it is a bit expensive to make.  It has rice snack mix, peanuts, popcorn, wasabi peas and a ton of sesame seeds.  I had some of the ingredients at home this weekend, but it is so addictive and I am trying to be good and lose the Christmas cookie weight gain.   So I decided to try this one which looks a little cheaper to make, probably lower in calories and had some interesting favors listed.

Martha Stewart Chesapeake Bay Snack Mix

Ingredients

6 cups crisp corn, rice cereal, such as Crispix or Chex
3 cups thin pretzel sticks
3 cups oyster crackers
2 cups roasted unsalted peanuts ( I use lightly salted peanuts)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons hot-pepper sauce, such as Tabasco

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a roasting pan, combine cereal, pretzels, crackers, and peanuts. In a small bowl, mix together melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay, lemon juice, and hot-pepper sauce. Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture and stir until ingredients are completely coated. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Transfer mixture to two rimmed baking sheets to cool completely.  This can be stored in air tight container for up to 1 week (if it last that long!)

Comments

Popular Posts