Roasted Lemon Chicken Thighs

 I have subscribed to many cooking magazines over the years. I had a long time subscription to Cooking Light. I tried Food and Wine, Southern Living, Food Network Magazine, Paula Deen and Bon Appetit. Each one I found a recipe that has been one that we have come back to again and again. My favorite and the only one I currently subscribe to is Fine Cooking. This magazine was where we found our son’s favorite meal of all time – Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with Lemon and Sage. https://diningwithadinergirl.com/2012/05/09/picky-eaters-favorite-dinner/ . In fact I made it last night because he came home for the weekend from school. The page in the magazine is stained many times over from having near by when I make it. I now refer to my blog post when I make it even though I know most of the steps by heart.


In the last issue there was a Roasted Chicken Dish that looked so good. I thought that we could make it one night after work but after really reading the recipe it was definitely a weekend dinner. So last Sunday night I finally made it. Now for one thing, I haven’t been doing a majority of the cooking lately. I have turned the kitchen over to Eric. And not only did I make dinner, I made a dessert too. (will post that one later – it was delicious!) This turned out great. The aroma was wonderful while it was cooking and the flavor was outstanding. We will definitely make this one again and again. So I had to blog it.

So my blog post have become my way to preserve my favorite recipes. If I am out shopping and know that I am going to make something from it for dinner or dessert, I can easily look up the ingredients. I can share favorite recipes from here and look back and see why we made something and what we thought




Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil; more as needed
3 medium lemons, washed, ends trimmed, and halved crosswise (about 1 lb.)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tsp. granulated garlic
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 2 lb.)
4 to 5 medium Yukon Gold or red-skin potatoes, each cut into 6 wedges (about 2 lb.)
2 Tbs. honey
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh oregano, plus sprigs for garnish

Directions
Position a rack in the center of the oven, and heat the oven to 450°F.



Lightly brush a large foil-lined rimmed baking sheet with oil. Arrange the lemon halves close together flesh side up in the center of the prepared pan. Brush the tops with 2 tsp. of the oil. Roast until just beginning to brown on the edges and the foil under the lemons turns dark brown and syrupy, 25 to 27 minutes.


Turn the lemon halves over with tongs, and rub the flesh over the dark spots on the foil to loosen the caramelized bits (the lemon flesh will turn brown). Transfer to a rimmed plate with any accumulated juices from the pan, and cool completely. Reserve the baking sheet.

Lower the oven temperature to 425°F. When the lemons are cool, squeeze 4 halves (including the pulp) into a large bowl. Add the accumulated juices from the plate (the juice will be thick and syrupy). Whisk in 1-1/2 tsp. salt, 1-1/2 tsp. granulated garlic, 1 tsp. oil, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add the chicken to the bowl, and toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. Put the chicken on the reserved baking sheet in a single layer skin side up. Rub any remaining marinade from the bowl evenly over the chicken.

Add the potatoes to the same bowl with the remaining 3 Tbs. oil, 1-1/2 tsp. granulated garlic, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Toss to coat. Spread the potatoes in a single layer on the pan with the chicken.



Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F in the thickest part of the thighs, and the potatoes are light golden-brown, tossing the potatoes halfway through cooking time, about 40 minutes.



Meanwhile, squeeze the remaining 2 lemon halves, including the pulp, into a small bowl (the juice will be thick and syrupy). Mince the peel of 1 of the remaining lemon halves (discard the other), and add to the bowl along with the honey and oregano, mixing well to combine. Brush the lemon-honey glaze evenly onto the chicken thighs. Return to the oven for 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate, and tent with foil.



Turn the broiler to high, and broil until the potatoes are golden, turning the pan halfway through broiling time, 2 to 3 minutes more. Arrange the chicken and potatoes on a large platter, garnish with oregano sprigs, and serve.

Comments

Popular Posts