Aunt Jen's Sugar Cookies


Last year when my sister Pat and I visited our sister Mary Ann in Florida,  we were reminiscing with our Uncle and cousins about our Grandma Gray and her sister Jen.  The two of them together were quite a pair. Every one of us remembers spending weekends with Grandma and visiting Aunt Jen's house.  Pat talked about stopping by after church and Aunt Jen would have a pan of homemade sugar cookies fresh from the oven.    She said they were so good and she wished she had the recipe.  

I have my  Grandma Schreck's recipe box from my mom.  Looking through these old recipes I found a recipe for sugar cookies with Aunt Jen's name on it.  Typical of all these old recipes they just list the  ingredients, the temperature and the cooking time.   I called my mom to check on a pan size and she told me to use a cookie sheet with about an inch rim. She said Aunt Jen never measured anything.  So  I started out by mixing the wet ingredients together and then the dry.  Once that was done I combined them both and pressed the dough into a cookie sheet. I baked them at 375 for 15 minutes.  Once they cooled I cut them into cookie size pieces. As soon as I tasted one I remembered the flavor.  The nutmeg makes these cookies and the cake like texture is a hit!  A taste of the past!
Bottom (L to R): Grandma, Aunt Jen
Top: Aunt Maggie, Aunt Martha

Aunt Jen's Sugar Cookies


1 cup of sugar
2 sticks of butter softened
1\2 cup milk
2 eggs
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Juice and rind of a lemon

Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Add eggs and milk. Add lemon juice and rind. In another bowl mix dry ingredients. Spread into a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.  Cool and cut into cookie size pieces.





Comments

Popular Posts