Healthy Beef Enchilada Pie

 

 
I remember a few years ago my hubby was at a training class and it was just the kids and me for dinner for about a week.  I didn't want to keep doing the same old, same old for dinner while he was away.  I wanted to try new recipes that would be easy and that the kids would enjoy.  So I found this recipe from Betty Crocker, made some tweaks and made it for dinner one night and they liked it.  But then it got forgotten in the big binder of recipes until a couple of weeks ago.  So I whipped that up for dinner.  Hubby must of liked it because there were no left overs.
 
I think my children enjoy our cooking and have a couple of favorite recipes each.  Now that our daughter has moved off campus this year I asked her what she plans on making for dinner and did she want some recipes.  Her reply was I will just look at your blog!  I am sure she will look for this one.
 

Healthy Beef Enchilada Pie

 

Ingredients

1 lb. lean  ground beef 
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup) 
1 can (10 oz)  red enchilada sauce 
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed, drained 
1 can (4.5 oz)  chopped green chiles, drained 
1 teaspoon ground cumin 
1 teaspoon chili powder 
5 flour tortillas for burritos (from 11 oz package) 
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend (4 oz) 
 sour cream and cilantro, if desired 



Directions



Heat oven to 350°F. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Reserve 1/4 cup enchilada sauce; set aside. Add remaining enchilada sauce, corn and chiles to beef mixture. Stir in cumin and chili powder. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered 5 minutes.

Spray 9-inch round (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place 1 tortilla in casserole; top with about 3/4 cup of the beef mixture and 3 tablespoons of the cheese. Repeat layers 3 times. Top with remaining tortilla, the reserved enchilada sauce and the remaining cheese.

Bake, uncovered, 30 to 40 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted. Cool 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream and cilantro sprigs.

Adapted from Betty Crocker

Comments

Popular Posts