Time to feed the sweet tooth

Saturday morning,  Hubby left early to go to the gym and then had some errands to run. So, he wouldn't be home till early afternoon.   I decided I needed to get motivated as well and set a plan for my day.  I wanted to pull out some fall decorations, get the mountains of laundry done and I needed to feed my sweet tooth as well.  I had this recipe from the Noble Pig saved on the Facebook feed and decided that Saturday was the time to make it happen. 
 
To get the day started I headed to the Y to get in some cardio (in preparation for the calories I was going to consume). From there I would go to the grocery store with my list of ingredients needed.  Then head home and tackle my to do list and get everything done in order to enjoy the beautiful fall day we had.
 
This cake was not only calling my name I knew my mother would like it as well. I was planning on going out to see her on Sunday and would take about 1/4 of the cake with me.  I had to share the calories with someone and I get my sweet tooth from her.  And who can resist a cake with 2 and 1/2 sticks of butter? I would of thought this cake came from a Paula Deen recipe, but it didn't.  The house smelled just wonderful while this was baking.  There was so much flavor to it, especially the glaze. And even now when I take the lid of the cake plate I get that almond scent in the air.  It won't last long in my house.
 
 
 

Butter Almond Pound Cake

Ingredients

 

3 cups (12 oz) cake flour, more for dusting (do not substitute)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs, room temperature
1 Tablespoon pure almond extract
1 cup whole milk (do not substitute), room temperature

Almond Glaze:

2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon almond extract
1/3 cup slivered almonds for garnish
 
 

Directions

In a large bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
 
Add butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer. Cream until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time and almond extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again for 30 seconds. Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with milk and ending with flour. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
 
Add batter to a one-piece tube pan* (16-18 cup capacity) that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray and dusted with cake flour.(I did not have a one piece tube pan, so I had to use my standard two piece, extra coating of cooking spray)

 Bake in a 325 degree F oven that has NOT been pre-heated. This will give you a loftier cake and a nicer crust. (Do not open the oven door). Bake for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick comes out the center clean.
 
Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes and then turn out on the rack and turn right side up. Let cool for three hours.
 
Mix together all ingredients for the glaze and pour over the top. Sprinkle with almonds before glaze is dry.
 
 
* Tip - When adding batter to a tube pan you have to be careful around the hole in the middle.  Our tip is to cover the hole with a Tupperware sippy cup.  Once the batter is in the pan, carefully putt the cup off.  And yes, the sippy cups are left over from when my children were little.  Great cups that we could never get rid of.  


Don't you see the butter oozing out of this? 


 
From the Noble Pig Website - one of my favorite blogs!

Comments

Popular Posts