Ultimate Chocolate Pudding - From Scratch!

Who doesn't love chocolate pudding?
 
Especially when you use Special Dark Cocoa powder




I love chocolate and lately it's dark chocolate that I crave.  When I saw this recipe in Fine Cooking Magazine I knew I had to try it.   I knew my daughter loves pudding and my husband loves cooked pudding when you make the boxed kind so I had two out of three in favor of this for dessert.  My son was my only hold out.  He always says he doesn't like pudding and that is without even trying it.  So after much persuasion we got him to try just a spoonful.  Well the spoonful turned into two bowls full.  He said he just didn't like the snack packs and thought that all pudding tasted that way.

For this recipe I used the Hershey ' s Dutch processed special dark cocoa.  I think this made the pudding taste even richer.  And don't they say dark chocolate is good for you?



Silky Chocolate Pudding

 
1-1/2 oz. (6 Tbs.) cocoa powder (Dutch process or natural)
1 oz. (3 Tbs.) cornstarch
1/4 tsp. table salt
1 cup heavy cream
2 large egg yolks
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract


Sift the cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt into a medium bowl. With a silicone spatula or whisk, slowly mix in the cream, eliminating any visible lumps as you go; the mixture will be quite thick. Mix in the egg yolks until combined. Set aside.

Heat the milk and sugar in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring often with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, until the sugar dissolves. When bubbles form around the edge of the milk, remove the pan from the heat. Whisk about half of the hot milk into the cocoa mixture. When smooth, whisk it into the milk remaining in the saucepan.

Bring the pudding to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking slowly and scraping the bottom of the pot to prevent scorching. The pudding will begin to thicken as it approaches a full boil. Watch for large, lava-like bubbles to roll up to the surface, and for small fast bubbles on the edges. When the pudding has reached this stage, turn the heat down to medium and whisk vigorously for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.

Whisk in the vanilla. Transfer the pudding to a shallow container (such as an 8-inch baking dish) and spread it evenly, then press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.

Whisk vigorously to loosen the pudding before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts