Favorites from the islands and a little taste of home

I just got back from 5 wonderful days in one of my favorite places to visit, St. John, USVI.  It was, as my husband dubbed it, the week of Joanne!   Hubby and I and our food friends finished off our big birthday celebrations with my birthday trip to my favorite island and favorite place on earth.  


While we were there we lounged around at the pool, along side the hotel's beach front and visiting Cruz Bay restaurants and stores. The day we selected to rent a car and visit the beaches was a bit overcast and some intermittent rain showers, so I really didn't get a chance to stroll along Cinnamon Bay or snorkel in the beautiful blue waters of the islands because we were unsure on the weather.  Now that we are home I am getting a little bit jealous of the post our friends are sending.  Their children are all grown up so they have no young kids at home that they have to take care of. A big Thanks to my niece, hubby and I got 5 days in the warmer weather to celebrate. 


The island is so laid back and non commercial unlike St. Thomas.  There is no rush to go anywhere, the people are very friendly and shorts and a tshirt is all you need besides the bathing suit.  And while we were there we visited some of our favorite places to eat.  Our friends were surprised at the great restaurants on this small little island.  My absolute favorite restaurant The Lime Inn was not fully opened, but we still visited the bar for a cocktail.  If I had to rank our dinners I would start with Rhumblines for the awesome Thai cuisine, then waterfront Bistro for the great chorizo stuffed chicken breast, Ocean 362 for my birthday dinner of steak and a snicker doodle ice cream sandwich and then Morgan's Mango for the taste of the tropics.  All had great food, excellent service and the laid back island atmosphere.  But a trip to St. John is not complete without a stop at skinny legs for one of the best burgers anywhere.


Now, while we were there our foodie  friend Mike wanted to make us lunch one day.  Our villa had a full kitchen and barbeque grills available.  Mike brought with him some risotto, truffle oil and spices.  He picked up some chicken breast and fresh zucchini at the local market and made the most amazing lunch.  It was like having dinner club in the islands, only we just had to bring the champagne and wine.  

A special thanks to our hotel for the champagne and putting up my birthday banner. An even bigger thanks to our friends for helping me celebrate and a huge, and I mean huge thank you to my wonderful husband. He really did make this the week of Joanne.










Comments

Popular Posts