Birthday Request

Yesterday I celebrated a birthday. Not a milestone one, but a birthday nonetheless.  When my darling husband asked what I would like to do and what kind of cake I had some ideas ready to go.  Being it a Sunday I wanted to spend the day with my family and not one that included working around the house, doing multiple loads of laundry.

I had been wanting to visit a winery nearby that had been open a few years, but we had never made it there. Then after that I wanted to go to one of my favorite places to relax and have a good meal, the Tavern at the Sherwood Inn.  If we could walk around town after our late lunch, that would be great, but if not, oh well. 



Now for my cake request I had initially asked for a chocolate cream pie.  My husband came back with what about a chocolate cake?  Not really.  I love chocolate cake, but sometimes find it too heavy.  So, taking into consideration his desire to change the request, (He really didn't have a chocolate cream pie recipe.) I decided on Paula Deen's Sour Cream Pound Cake - a favorite of mine. 

So, while I was out of the house on Saturday, my husband and daughter made the cake for me.  When we had the cake last night, they took some raspberry jam and heated it in a pan on the stove and then spooned it over the cake slices.  Just delicious!



Paula Deen's Sour Cream Pound Cake


Ingredients


1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
3 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the sour cream and mix until incorporated. Sift the baking soda and flour together. Add to the creamed mixture alternating with eggs, beating each egg 1 at a time. Add the vanilla and pour the mixture into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.   (Don't forget the tube pan tip! Cover the hole over with a cup when pouring the batter in the pan.)

Comments

Popular Posts