Pinterest strikes again!

I really like checking out the Pinterest boards to find new recipes and ideas for decorating the house for the upcoming holidays. One day I stumbled up a recipe featuring orzo and feta. Looking closer I saw that it also had shrimp, one of my kids favorite treats. My little picky eater won't eat grilled cheese or make a regular sandwich or bring his lucnh to school(kinda like his mother), but he loves to go get a sub at Subway, loves calamari and other seafoods that you might not think kids would try. My daughter on the other hand will try anything, like her father.

Well, I pinned this recipe to my "looks yummy have to try" board to test out one day. Then last week I was showing some of these pins to my husband and he says "well, get the stuff and make it". And that is just what I did last night. Now I have a new board "Tried it, loved it" where the pin now resides.
http://www.gourmetdaytoday.com/2012/03/04/athenian-orzo/


 Athenian Orzo (Slightly Adapted from: Eating Well)
 Serves 4

Ingredients
1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 large tomatoes, chopped (canned diced tomatoes would work here as well, but fresh tastes so much better!)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Pinch of crushed red pepper
1 pound medium shrimp, (30-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
1 cup orzo
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preparation
Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch (or other 3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil. Heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add wine and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper; cook for 5 minutes. Drop in shrimp and cook, stirring, until barely pink, about 2 1/2 minutes. Cook orzo in the boiling water until tender but still firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Toss with the tomato-shrimp sauce. Sprinkle with feta and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley. Bake, uncovered, until the feta is bubbly, about 10 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts