From the recipe box - Smothered Steak


How many of you remember what a recipe box looks like?  No, not the electronic one you find on myrecipes.com or Food Network where you file away tagged recipes you found while searching for something, only to forget the username and password you set up.  And no, it is not the board you have set aside on Pinterest marked "recipes to try" or "recipes I liked".  This is that box you have hidden in the back of your kitchen cupboard, buried under Tupperware containers or miscellaneous papers you threw up there one day.

My recipe box is a smoke colored see-through box that holds 4 x 6 cards. It holds recipes I copied from my mother or my sisters and recipes my husband got from his mother. Then there are recipes that I had written down in the early years of our marriage when we didn't have a home computer or iPad to quickly search for them.  The recipes in this box are ones we had prior to the big binder of recipes from recent years. 

So, today's recipe was one that I got from my Mother -in-law soon after we were married.  It is a perfect crock pot recipe that cooks all day and ready for you when you walk in from work at night.  




Smothered Steak

1 1/2 lb chuck or round steak, cut in strips
1/3  cup of flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 large onion, sliced
1 to 2 green peppers, sliced
1 lb can diced tomatoes
1 4 oz can of mushrooms
2 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1  10oz. bag  frozen French style green beans

Put steak strips, flour, salt and pepper in crockpot.  Stir well to coat steak.  Add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high 1 hour, then turn to low for 6 hours.  Serve with white rice.




Comments

Popular Posts